People in a Sunday School class or Bible Study group should be challenged to get involved in ministering to others. Believers should be the hands and feet of Jesus ministering to a hurting world. Jesus said, “Whatever you did for the one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matthew 25:40
Here are six ideas that I got from an article written by Diana Davis from the magazine Facts and Trends published by Lifeway Christian Resource:
1. Ask members to personally invite one person – friend or stranger- to church every week this year.
Provide “You Are Invited” cards that people can give to people as they invite them to church. The cards should have the important information about church service times and the website address.
2. Plan a baby shower for a local crisis pregnancy center. Ask members to bring baby items like diapers, wipes, baby food, baby toys, etc. to be given to the pregnancy center. Members could also volunteer to help at the pregnancy center.
3. Invite prospects for the class to come to a Free Sunday Lunch. Actually send out invitations and be sure to include the worship and Sunday School times on the invitation. After church either take everyone to a local restaurant or provide lunch at the church.
4. Bake cookies, breads, cakes, or pies to be given to church prospects when someone visits in their home.
5. Stock the pantry for a local food bank or the church food pantry. Ask members to donate non-perishable goods. Members could also volunteer to serve at the local food bank.
6. Partner with a local school or shelter to provide backpacks filled with school supplies to school-age children whose families need financial assistance.
Hopefully, these six ideas will spark other ideas on how your Sunday School class can minister to others. As we minister to the physical needs of people we then open the door to be able to minister to their spiritual needs. Please share your ideas below on how your class has been “on mission” for God.